Leaving tomorrow morning with
this route in mind. Heading east to visit the mom in Maine and the dad and bro's in RI and a buddy in NY. Supposed to be back in WA around the 19th so visits will be short.
I've sort of been working up to this trip for a month or so, but it was just a couple of days ago that I discovered I had these two weeks free from responsibility. I attempted this same trip last October, but by the time I was ready to head west, the snow had started falling so I left the bike back east and flew home. The bike was also new to me last year and was still leaking and creaking, so although I was a bit stressed, it still got me home with few issues this June. After this summer's tuning it gets 7 more miles to the gallon and is more responsive and stable to ride. The bike is now in the best shape it's been in for probably a decade.
One of the big limitations of last October's trip was the short daylight hours. The sun was only up from about 08:00 to 17:30. The days in September are a little longer, and I have super-bright driving lights now too.
As much as I'd like to travel the back roads, time will not allow and the extra fun riding will mostly happen once I'm back east. On the way over I plan to slow down a little through Glacier National Park and then take Hwy 2 across the top of the country to the Great Lakes. I've never been up there (east of Glacier) and I hope the riding is pleasant. If I have enough time left to ride the bike home it will probably be all slab west of NY.
I'm bringing a tent, sleeping bag and mattress pad with the intention of sleeping in campgrounds to save money. Besides the bag of nuts and granola bars, road food is on the menu. If only I could find chocolate that won't melt in the tank bag. I've got waterproof riding gear and a heated vest which served me well last October. The immediate weather forecast looks very nice though, so maybe I won't need it much.
Time to pack.
Wish me luck. Follow along at
spotwalla starting tomorrow.