Author Topic: Underscore takes the kitchen sink from Iowa to Washington  (Read 5738 times)

Offline johnny

  • TrailBrakingThrottleWhacker
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 7653
  • Whacking...n...Chopping Sliding...n...High Siding
Underscore takes the kitchen sink from Iowa to Washington
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
Edit by frankenduck: This is actually Underscore's ride report.  He originally posted it in The Utility Room because has was having trouble posting pics but JO got it sorted out for him and I've now split out the meat of it and moved it to The Slide Show. I changed the title too. :yes



Ok, finally got my laptop fixed so it’s time to start on the report.

Day 1(Monday)

It’s all starting, ready to roll.


Then after a couple of hours was the Minnesota border.


I see that Minnesota installs their fans outside too, just like Iowa…..


Then came the South Dakota border, and a rest stop.




It’s not easy to see, but it looks like they grow some sunflowers here in SD. For sunflower seeds maybe?


Then there was some flat land to see.




I finally made my destination for the day in Spearfish SD, just outside of Sturgis.
Since I was the only one there for the night, Jo let me have the cabin for the same $ as setting my tent.





Day 2 (Tuesday)
I’m heading to a fine Wyoming site, Devils Tower.
I visited Rushmore a couple of years ago so it wasn’t on this year’s itinerary.
Not long after I started the day came the Wyoming border.


There was a little more flat land, then some hills started to appear.




Finally, Devils Tower. I didn’t go directly up to it, but I can say I’ve been in person now…..






From Devils Tower, came some nice Wyoming countryside views.


Montana Border,,,, Another state for my travel map….


Not far north of the Montana border was the next point of interest for me, Little Big Horn National Battlefield and Cemetery. It was an awe inspiring site.
A part of American history, that is sometimes forgotten.






 









From Billings I took U.S. 212 to Yellowstone.
Made a stop Rock Creek Vista Point and spotted a couple of youngsters feed some grinnies.




Then came Yellowstone, wow. I’ve read about it but to actually see it is awesome.




I caught this buffalo crossing the road, but by the time I got stopped and the camera out, he was off to the side.




After this I went out the west entrance and bedded down for the night at West Yellowstone.

Day 3(Wednesday)
Up in the morning I went back into the park from the west and planned on riding out the south entrance. The view is just plain beautiful.




A little further down the road there was some Elk grazing in the field on the side of the road. Exactly where they should be……. On the side out of the way……


Then more beauty, God’s wonderful creation.






Then came some geysers.




I’d never heard of “fountain paint pots”






Then from there was Old Faithful.




From O’Faithful came the Continental Divide.


And finally the South Entrance….


Then some more trees and pretty views.




Then I came up upon the Waterfalls Canyon. What a beautiful view.






Phil spoke to me and said, “Here is where I’d like to stay for a while”
So, I did. Phil has been riding with me since Hungry Mother in May, till today. I let him rest here to enjoy this wonderful view. RIP Phil Marvin.





There were some other bikers also enjoying the view, one of them offered to take a pic for me, so I let them….


Off to continue west, then came the Grand Tetons








Onward westward, then came the Idaho border.






Plenty of semi flat land, and nasty cross winds.




Then another state border, Oregon this time.  My final destination is getting closer.


Something I haven’t seen yet, at least not in Iowa, surface water irrigation channels.


Then some semi desolate areas.






Something I hadn’t put too much thought into before I left home……………late night gas stations in the middle of nowhere……. Then they have to pump your gas for you to boot. That’s a 1st for me.
I stayed the night in Burns/Hill Oregon, too late to get into the campground again so I did a hotel.

Day 4(Thursday)
On the road again in the am.






Did finally start to come up upon some snow covered mountain peaks. The Three Sisters.




Green, what is that color, been so lacking lately.






Can’t exactly remember where this tunnel is. I suppose I could match the pic date/time stamp with my track route and pinpoint it. Naw, that’s too much work.


I like the roads that follow alongside the creeks. Don’t see much of that where I come from.


Finally to a campground early enough in the day I can check in and set up. Florence Oregon, on the coast, on PCH 101.


I took some time for some local pics, a bay harbor area and a local bridge.




Day 5(Friday)

After a decent nights rest it’s time to head north up the 101.












Some others out for a scenic ride.


More of the 101






Here’s the bridge between Oregon and Washington.










Finally in Washington state.


A little bit more of the 101.






A local power plant there in the distant.


Some more of Washington on the way to the cabin.











Well, here it is. Finally Friday afternoon and 2700 miles later Drakes Cabin.


The pics at the cabin will go in the Dungee thread.
  • :johnny i parks my 96 eleven hundert rs motobrick in dodge county cheezconsin  :johnny

Offline Crapdealerbob

  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Posts: 297
Re: Underscore takes the kitchen sink from Iowa to Washington
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Great stuff, we covered many of the same roads, even have the same picture of the highway sign at the 101 turn off in my ride report.  Your right about Yellowstone, one of the prettiest places on earth.
Crapdealerbob
Wickenburg, AZ
1991 K100 RS

Offline Red

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 76
  • No man is great if he thinks he is___ Will Rogers
Re: Underscore takes the kitchen sink from Iowa to Washington
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
You know ... when I get the chance to do what you are doing (ride), I think I will do it exactly like you did. Love the pictures! Great ride and RR! I'm looking  for a big stripe chair just like yours ... it looks sooooo nice to be able to kick back in your camp site after a long days ride. God bless you.  :2thumbup:
Bill
1997 K1100LT
1985 K100RS.
'2000 A-15 Concours (C-10 style) Kawasaki - sold
'94 YZ250 Yamaha - sold

Tags: