Author Topic: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?  (Read 10599 times)

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« on: July 13, 2018, 08:16:19 AM »
Can anyone tell me what this switch is for?  I don't think it's original to the bike, is it?   :dunno

I hate to mess with it in case it launches a missle or something.   :hehehe

Note the photo is sideways.  I still haven't figured out how some of my pics upload laying over, but clicking on them does open the orientation correctly.

Thanks in advance for replies.



  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Filmcamera

  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 1481
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
It is aftermarket.  It is housed inside the 12v accessory socket.  My guess would be a kill switch maybe? Or some kind of after market alarm?
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2022 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Poserbricker

Offline koapono

  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Posts: 277
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 09:30:49 AM »
Looks like a 12VDC accessory plug/socket that PO installed a micro-toggle switch in. It might be a factory option but I've not seen similar.
do you have owner installed accessory on bike?
start tracing wire from back of socket and see where it goes.
  • prince george, VA (25 miles south of richmond)
  • 1994 K1100LT

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 09:33:48 AM »


OK, I'll have to check into it.  If missiles hit North Korea, it wasn't me..... :dunno:

My hope is it is indeed some sort of alarm or ignition disable.  In the mean time, I have water pump/oil seals to install. 
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Laitch

  • Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 11601
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
Note the photo is sideways.  I still haven't figured out how some of my pics upload laying over, but clicking on them does open the orientation correctly.
Plenty of help on line concerning that.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 102,000 miles

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
Plenty of help on line concerning that.

I figured as much, but usually there are more pressing immediate issues to resolve than wandering into figuring it out, unfortunately.  I know there is probably an easy fix, I just have to remember to take the time to learn how to make it happen properly.  Maybe I just need to hold the camera landscape instead of portrait.
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Andy FitzGibbon

  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Posts: 123
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »
Might be a switch for the low/high altitude settings on the engine management computer... I've seen people add switches for that a couple times. Ordinarily, there's a connector that you have to jump, if I remember correctly.

Andy
  • Montrose, WV
  • 1985 K100RS, 1972 R75/5, 2012 Suzuki DR650

Offline Scott_

  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 2281
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 07:51:14 AM »
Might be a switch for the low/high altitude settings on the engine management computer... I've seen people add switches for that a couple times. Ordinarily, there's a connector that you have to jump, if I remember correctly.

Andy
1100's don't have one of those. The motronic automatically makes those fuel adjustments.
  • My Garage
1997 K1100LT 0302488 (resurrected)
2017 FLHTK Ultra Limited
1995 K1100LT 0302044 (R.I.P.)
1997 R1100RT ZC62149(sold)
"One who does not ask questions is ashamed to learn" Danish proverb

Offline Andy FitzGibbon

  • ^ Proficient Motobricker
  • Posts: 123
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 08:05:56 AM »
1100's don't have one of those. The motronic automatically makes those fuel adjustments.

Whoops... I read "K100" instead of "K1100" in the subject line.

Andy
  • Montrose, WV
  • 1985 K100RS, 1972 R75/5, 2012 Suzuki DR650

Offline Martin

  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 4475
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 06:13:15 PM »
DON'T mess with it it's probably an auto self destruct. :nono
Regards Martin
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
DON'T mess with it it's probably an auto self destruct. :nono
Regards Martin

I flipped it a couple of times already.  No nukes headed for N. Korea best I can tell.  That's a good sign, I guess.
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Laitch

  • Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 11601
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 07:35:21 PM »
No nukes headed for N. Korea best I can tell. 
Not so fast! They might be incoming.

Did you try starting the bike with the switch in each of its different positions?
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 102,000 miles

Offline Martin

  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 4475
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 07:48:37 PM »
It could also be a auto self destruct on a time delay. Check your clock to see if it's running backwards. :popcorm
Regards Martin.
  • North Lakes Queensland Australia
  • 1992 K75s Hybrid, Lefaux, Vespa V twin.

Offline Laitch

  • Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 11601
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
It could also be a auto self destruct on a time delay. Check your clock to see if it's running backwards. :popcorm
Regards Martin.
:laughing-on-ground:
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 102,000 miles

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »
Well, it doesn't keep it from starting, I just checked. 
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Skunky

  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • Posts: 527
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 07:58:30 PM »
Its a forum curiosity switch  :2thumbup:
  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt BMWK1100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt 97 K1100lt
Honda FMX650 Honda CB400F

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
Its a forum curiosity switch  :2thumbup:

Yeah.  Has me puzzled.  Fer shure... :dunno2:
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Filmcamera

  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 1481
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2018, 08:02:50 PM »
Is it actually connected to anything?
  • San Jose, Costa Rica
  • 1991 K100RS 16v ABS1, 2022 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Poserbricker

Offline stokester

  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • Posts: 850
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 12:30:42 PM »
Well, it doesn't keep it from starting, I just checked.
So that's why my garage door keeps going up and down  :clap:
  • Yorktown Virginia
  • '94 K75S Dakar Yellow - '93 K75S Seiden Blau - '91 R100RT Bermuda Blue- '78 R100S Smoke Red

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
So that's why my garage door keeps going up and down  :clap:



 :hehehe
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Laitch

  • Faster than a speeding pullet
  • Administrator
  • ^ Quintessential Motobricker
  • Posts: 11601
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 12:49:18 PM »
Well, it doesn't keep it from starting, I just checked.
When did you last flick that switch? I heard some chanting in Hindi recently but couldn't locate its source.
  • Along the Ridley in Vermont.
  • 1995 K75 102,000 miles

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 12:57:36 PM »
When did you last flick that switch? I heard some chanting in Hindi recently but couldn't locate its source.

 :hehehe :eek: :clap:
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Offline Skunky

  • ^ SuperNatural Motobricker
  • Posts: 527
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »
Automatic BMW Garage door device.

  • Derby GB
  • BMW K100lt BMWK1100lt
Rebuild it and they will come..
90 K100lt 97 K1100lt
Honda FMX650 Honda CB400F

Offline BryanD

  • ^ Motobrick Curious
  • Posts: 62
Re: K1100rs: What Is This Switch?
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 07:41:00 AM »
Now that's funny!  I once "installed" a dishwasher like that....
  • Louisville
  • 95 K1100rs

Tags: