MOTOBRICK.COM

TECHNICAL MOTOBRICK WRENCHING In Remembrance of Inge K. => The Motobrick Workshop => Topic started by: jimmyd on June 10, 2012, 08:55:43 PM

Title: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: jimmyd on June 10, 2012, 08:55:43 PM
Hey Motobrick family

I have a 1994 K1100rs. Had a shreded sprague. I took mine out to replace it. My problem is since the original was in about 10 pieces I have no idea what way the new sprag needs to go into the bike. Since this is a a one way clutch there are not options.
Anyone know how this should be properly installed.
Title: Re: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: frankenduck on June 10, 2012, 09:01:42 PM
Like so:
Title: Re: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: jimmyd on June 10, 2012, 09:11:06 PM
DW
You are the man. When I get this baby all back together I'll pull a wheelie for you  :giggles

If I had not already surpassed 350, a wheelie might be a potential option, but now not unless I jump of while I gun it  :laugh

Anyway I can clearly see the direction that the teeth on the little sprag need to be oriented. Now for re assembly.


Do you happen to have a rear luggage rack (the little cage type deal that sites over the rear fender/storage fairing) for sale?
Least I can due is purchase one from you for all your help.
Thanks

James
Title: Re: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: frankenduck on June 10, 2012, 09:14:46 PM
One favor to ask: Put your year and model in your signature, please. :mbird

Profile->Forum Profile

Title: Re: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: jimmyd on June 11, 2012, 12:03:53 AM
Like so:
Just for the record..... Does anyone recognize this part................... I sure do  :yes

Well this is what a jacked sprague looks like.

Pulling this out of the bike is what I did today and every nice weather day for the last 6 weeks.... about 10 to 30 minutes of wrench time most days.
(http://[img][img])[/img][/img]

Title: Re: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: jimmyd on June 11, 2012, 12:09:01 AM
Like so:
Just for the record..... Does anyone recognize this part................... I sure do  :yes

Well this is what a jacked sprague looks like.

Pulling this out of the bike is what I did today and every nice weather day for the last 6 weeks.... about 10 to 30 minutes of wrench time most days.
(http://[img][img])[/img][/img]

I already have the new sprague and DW straightened my out with the correct direction, so it time for re-assembly.
What a project. I think I know how to wrench on every part of the bike (cause I dang near had to pull everything apart) now except the front forks, and what the hay I might as well pull them apart too  :2thumbup:
Title: Re: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: frankenduck on June 11, 2012, 08:32:07 AM
You should take better care of your toys. :nono
Title: Re: Which Way Does the Sprague Go In
Post by: jimmyd on June 11, 2012, 08:57:54 AM
Like so:
Just for the record..... Does anyone recognize this part................... I sure do  :yes

Well this is what a jacked sprague looks like.

Pulling this out of the bike is what I did today and every nice weather day for the last 6 weeks.... about 10 to 30 minutes of wrench time most days.
(http://[img][img])[/img][/img]

I already have the new sprague and DW straightened my out with the correct direction, so it time for re-assembly.
What a project. I think I know how to wrench on every part of the bike (cause I dang near had to pull everything apart) now except the front forks, and what the hay I might as well pull them apart too  :2thumbup:

I am told this happens to some bikes, but I never expected the sprague to be shredded when I opened the bike up.
The previous owner told me this issue preexisted the purchase, but after installing a new battery when I bought the bike, I never had any problems until last fall.
Aw long as it runs well after I put it back together I will be happy for the experience. I am starting to wonder if some of the sprague bits are floating around in some not so good places.